Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Ham vs Nye


So last night was the night.  Ham v. Nye in a battle of religion and science.  I will not review the debate between the two "experts" in their respective sides.  On one side we had Bill Nye "The Science Guy" and the other, Ken Ham "The Bible Guy".  Nye, and expert in my book, Ham....
So I caught about five minutes of the so called debate.  What I saw of if, Nye was not on his game entirely, but when debating with someone you are trying your hardest to not laugh  at, it becomes hard to bring your best to the table.  I also do not think Nye was all that serious about debating the concept of creation, I feel he was there for a better reason, to enlighten, to ensure that we continue to push forward in our thinking, not so the United States becomes a front runner again; he was there to push us to better the world.  He brought a bag of information, findings, and a knowledge base that should have shown all that no matter your faith, science is the answer to solving the problems we face.  What I caught of it, before my internet crashed into a flaming heap, Nye was trying to communicate to people who are creationists, that we need to study science, so we know our place in the world and universe.  I think he also feels, and I do feel the same, that the more we understand the universe, and this planet, the more we can do to protect it from our own actions, and what can occur to it when other factors come into play.  When asked Nye was honest, he explained we do not know about some things, and I respect that.  We do not know what happened before the "Big Bang" what we do know is that something happened.

Ken Ham, brought out the same old tired bag of tricks that he always used.  Nothing new to see or hear.  To be fair Nye used the same information that he always did, and threw in some new stuff from what I heard.  Ham basically said I have a book, to which Nye more or less responded "We have multiple books, with multiple experts who pretty much agree on the big picture."  When presented with the opportunity to rebut Mr. Nye about what happened before the "Big Bang" this is what Ham said...
"We have a book, that says "In the Beginning"....
Yeah, seriously he has a book, a seriously flawed book, as proof of what happened before what we see today.

As for who won the debate, we have to look at the motives.  Certainly Ham won, he brought attention to his museum, and as I understand it they are selling a DVD of the debate.  People will buy the DVD, visit that museum and he will make money.  Nye won, as he brought attention to the problem of schools teaching non-science to students, and holding back our society and our world. Oh and the debate is free on his website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

3 years later...

 Yay, I quit smoking.  I moved around a bit.  I saw Covid19 and survived.  I even got vaccinated for it, and outside of some really weird dr...