Saturday, October 1, 2016

Clinton again

Okay, so while I was doing, someone sent me a link to an article about leaked audio from a Clinton donor party. Yay... Really, I have to vote in this election? Because I'm telling you all right now, I am not feeling it at all.


Well, I guess we know where her supporters get this drivel from, I mean when the character you are pulling for in a god awful soap opera known as American Politics calls her opponents supporters basement dwelling children and political newbies, it only stands to reason that you would repeat it, to the point that people actually start vomiting.

Yes I support free secondary education, be it an Associates Degree, a BS degree, even a Masters degree, or a Doctorate. I also support free trade schools, anything that can give you the tools to, I don't know, be able to find decent employment in a field that you enjoy, and can see yourself doing for the next 40 to 50 years of your life. I didn't think that was such a horrible thing.

Yes I support a single payer health care system, something in which nobody needs worry about medical bills, paying for their medications, or the prospects of being utterly ruined over an injury or illness. I'd go one step further if you would indulge me, how about a good life insurance policy as well, not a million dollar job, but say $50,000 to $100,000, you know, in case the bread winner of the family or someone who helps support the household should die, nobody is scrambling to pay for funerals with money they don't have, or worrying about being foreclosed on or dealing with a repossessed car.

"There is a strain of, on the one hand, the kind of populist, nationalist, xenophobic, discriminatory kind of approach that we hear too much of from the Republican candidates," she (Clinton) said. "And on the other side, there’s just a deep desire to believe that we can have free college, free healthcare, that what we’ve done hasn’t gone far enough, and that we just need to, you know, go as far as, you know, Scandinavia, whatever that means, and half the people don’t know what that means, but it’s something that they deeply feel."

See I didn't know that advocating, or even wanting those things was wrong. They don't look wrong, they don't sound wrong, they don't even appear to be wrong. What is wrong with being more like Scandinavia? I mean, sure, it throws a wrench in that holier than thou attitude that neo-liberals and conservatives have, in which you should pull yourself up by the boot straps and make your own way in the world. Speaking of which, I know that “you know,” and “whatever that means,” are just filler words. Its kind of like listening to an athlete, they know they have to say something, but uh, they don't know what to say, you know?

Of course, I can understand someone as old as Clinton saying she doesn't understand why people in my age group and those who are younger than me are predominately for such notions. To those of you who were born before 1981, I can understand why some of you are for it. If anything, I cannot grasp why people are against doing such things, and more, even more than Scandinavia, think a GBI (Guaranteed Basic Income). But then we start getting into some really rocky territory... Oh Clinton went there, and now cannot understand why people on the left won't vote for her.

"Some are new to politics completely. They’re children of the Great Recession. And they are living in their parents’ basement," she said. "They feel they got their education and the jobs that are available to them are not at all what they envisioned for themselves. And they don’t see much of a future."
Clinton added: "If you’re feeling like you’re consigned to, you know, being a barista, or you know, some other job that doesn’t pay a lot, and doesn’t have some other ladder of opportunity attached to it, then the idea that maybe, just maybe, you could be part of a political revolution is pretty appealing."
"I think we all should be really understanding of that," Clinton said.
Okay... So where do I start with this... Yes, some people who voted for Sanders are new to the game of politics, just as some people who voted for you are new to the game. Every year, every election there are new people to the game, because that is how the real world actually works, younger people get introduced to politics every day, and they either start taking part, or they ignore it. We are all in some way children of the Great Recession that her husband helped create, and she helped to sell to the masses. The deregulation spree of the late 90's, the glut of horrible free trade agreements, and everything that came with both created one hell of a storm, and behind it all was neo-liberalism and conservatism with the beliefs in Trickle Down Economics, Deregulation, and Free Trade. Is it any wonder that full grown adults are living in their Parent's Basement. Ah, I remember the good ole days, I had my own place just up the street from the farm, walking distance even. I went out and bought myself a brand new truck, I was living the high life. Yeah 08 and a shitty job off the farm killed all that. By the end of 08, I was living with my parents, in a crappy house that was well over priced and failing apart at the seems to boot. Buy 2012, my shitty job, and the insanely high price of gas had sapped my meager income to the point that my Dad was making the low payment I had on the truck, which blew up. Oh, did I mention that I was homeless at that point, unable to get a better job because nobody was hiring. Yeah, if you would have told me that this was how my life was going to be when I was 20, I wouldn't have believed you.

You see, you go to college to learn, to pick up knowledge in a field, something that some of us actually took seriously, and tried to get an education in fields that would actually have jobs. I don't feel like I am consigned to a shitty job, and shitty life, I am. I am not alone in this so-called feeling. There isn't much of a future, outside of winning the lotto. Work until you die, or are so crippled up that you can't move. I worked at a job, managed to get promoted at that company, but I leaped over people with decades worth of experience on the job, and only because my predecessor died on the job. Yeah, that is a great way to get a promoting, the guy you replaced died, and you got the promotion not because you were highly skilled, had tons of experience or were highly intelligent. You got promoted because your employer felt they could control you. Ah, boy was my employer wrong on that one. Anyway, I am digressing, so people now find it appealing to be part of a political revolution. I don't entirely buy that notion, its not that it is appealing, but something that has to be done. They see their lives, they see the lives of their peers, their brothers and sisters, their parents and grandparents, and they are not amused. They are angry, we are angry. We are tired of nothing changing for the better. As a middle aged man, looking back, I have watched this country, seen countless lives go from good, to absolute crap in months to years. I have watched change from the time I stepped foot on this planet, and can remember, and it has never been good, I mean really good, not the illusion of it being good.

If Clinton really understood that people are angry and they are tired, then she wouldn't say the things she does. She would be putting forth effort, saying that these things should change, you know? She doesn't understand these things, she doesn't understand why people are angry or tired, she is far too removed from reality. I don't want to hear about Trump either, he is as delusional as Clinton. Neither of them would know what its like to live on less than $1000 a month (that is roughly minimum wage, at 40 hours a week after taxes). I would bet money, if I had any to bet, that Clinton wouldn't know what its like to live on anything less than $5000 a month, in terms of how far it goes in this world (I don't care about her $20,000 a year in 1970).

But what do I know, right? Like my peers, I am likely a political newb, who doesn't understand or care about how the system works, right? No, I am not a political newb, and I understand how the system works, and I do care about how it works, because I have been aware since before 2000, and I have been screaming at anyone who would listen that things had to change, even if you didn't like it, even if we had to go back to the drawing board. I know that is hard for Clinton to understand, how about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

3 years later...

 Yay, I quit smoking.  I moved around a bit.  I saw Covid19 and survived.  I even got vaccinated for it, and outside of some really weird dr...